Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Register
Community Search
Sign In

Blog
Calendar
What do you need before you can open your pool?
Moderator(s): Amanda Parsons
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/22/2020 at 8:59:07 PM GMT
What do you need before you can open your pool?

The future: the Governor of Oregon gives the "all clear" and pools are green-lighted to open.  What do you need before you can open your pool?  How much time do you think you will need before you are open?  How much time before you are back to 100% operations?

Last edited Wednesday, April 22, 2020
4/22/2020 at 10:21:15 PM GMT
I need to know what budget I have left to operate. I need time to recruit and (re)train staff. I need about two weeks to reheat the water and make sure my pool is balanced and ready.

4/22/2020 at 11:50:44 PM GMT
I need time to refresh staff skills, update certifications, restock proper ppe, chemicals and cleaning supplies, bring pool and building back up to temperature. I will also need time to fully sanitize facility and update schedule (pool and staff) and implement a policy specific to reopening/continued operations.

4/23/2020 at 7:59:55 PM GMT
I need to know about capacity changes. I need guidance on swim lessons - if we can even have them, I would like to know what guidance we can have regarding locker room / showers. Do I need to raise my chlorine level? What guidance do we receive regarding lap swim distancing, exercise classes, swim teams, recreation swims or water polo? Yes, I need to get staff up to speed and bring the pool up to standard. What events can we host? We host a few long course swim meets each summer - are those going to be permitted? What about water polo tournaments? What does the fall look like? Are their recommendations regarding water features - slides, lazy rive, zero depth play structures? Will there be a financial assistance program that allows us to operate at less than capacity without draining the budget?

4/23/2020 at 11:20:59 PM GMT
I can see our facilities needing at least two weeks in order to bring back staff, train them, start recruiting more staff, and getting our facilities back on track and functional for our patrons to enjoy. We will also need to know any restrictions that remain in place that may restrict what programming (swim lessons, water fitness, recreation swims etc.) we are able to schedule. We also need to have safe practices in place for the use of our smaller pools (where patrons will be in close contact), locker rooms and restrooms, and our concession stand. We will need to determine if we can reopen given any continued restrictions and still be able to make money to benefit our organization.

5/5/2020 at 5:26:19 PM GMT
Thank you for all of these replies! We are still gathering this feedback and will be using it to guide our recommendations for pool operations during reopening plans!

5/11/2020 at 3:04:57 PM GMT

Here are CDC considerations for pool reopeniing: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/parks-rec/aquatic-venues.html

This guidance is for consideration if the authority having jurisdiction has determined public aquatic venues can open.

Last edited Monday, May 11, 2020
5/18/2020 at 7:03:35 PM GMT

Class size restrictions. 

How many people can gather in my facility, including staff. 

Are swimming lessons something we can have? Can we hold children who do not belong to us- or do we need a parent in the pool. 

I still feel there are too many questions surrounding the number of people and how much space needs to be in between them. Its looking like a limited lap swim with some swim team thrown in there... 

I need at least 2 weeks minimum to open the pool- this would include cleaning, pool water maintenance and re-training the staff. Ideally, I would have 3 weeks. 

Oregon Recreation & Park Association
www.orpa.org | PO Box #202, Lake Oswego OR 97034 | 503.534.5673
ORPA is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization